How to remove weeds with a steam cleaning machine
A steam cleaner is a versatile piece of equipment that can quickly and effectively clean and disinfect a variety of surfaces. Additionally, it can be used to help get rid of weeds without herbicides or chemicals. Here’s how to turn your steam cleaning machine into an effective weed killer.
Why steam kills weeds
A steam cleaner provides thermal weed control. This term describes the process of applying hot steam to the weed’s stem and leaves. The heat causes water inside the plant’s cells to expand and rupture their membranes, causing them to die.
Benefits of killing weeds with a steam cleaner
There are many advantages of using a steam cleaner in landscaping, including:
- A steam cleaner reduces the need for chemicals such as herbicides which can negatively affect the environment.
- You don’t have to worry about the weather. When you use steam to kill weeds, you don’t have to worry about chemicals drifting in the wind and landing on fruit trees or playground equipment. You also don’t have to worry about chemical runoff from precipitation. Rain also won’t impact steam’s weed control effectiveness.
- Using steam to kill weeds has no adverse health effects on people or animals.
How to kill weeds with a steam cleaner in three steps
Killing weeds with a steam cleaner is easy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Connect a weed killer attachment to the pressure washer hose of your unit. If you don’t already have a steam cleaner, purchase or rent one from Hotsy Water Blast. You can order the perfect hot water pressure washer as well as all the parts and accessories (including a weed killer attachment) that you need.
- Apply steam to the weeds. Place the applicator over an individual weed for about eight seconds. Alternatively, you can slowly move the wand over a large area of weeds you want to kill. You can also use the attachment to kill grass and weeds growing through cracks in your sidewalk and driveway.
- Wait for three days. You’ll notice weeds begin to wither in about three hours. However, it can take up to three days for the weeds to die and turn brown.
Steam cleaners in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and North Dakota
Hotsy Water Blast carries the Optima Steamer XD, a perfect tool for landscapers looking for a chemical-free weed killer. Contact the Hotsy Water Blast dealer nearest you and ask about our steam cleaners and pressure washer rental service.