How to use a disinfecting and sanitizing machine
The global pandemic has made cleaning and sanitizing homes and businesses more critical than ever. Sanitizing cold-fogging machines are an effective tool that kills unseen pathogens in hard-to-reach places. They’re easy to use and you can disinfect your environment quickly with one. Here’s what you should know.
About sanitizing machines
Sanitizing machines are also called cold foggers. They’re portable devices usually powered by a battery. The units dispense disinfectant into the air as a fine mist. This mist lands on surfaces and kills bacteria and viruses. Sanitizing mist gets to areas humans can’t reach or may miss while cleaning by hand.
Cold fogging machines are also useful for pest and odour control or to treat mould. You can purchase or rent a cold fogger from your local pressure washer rental company.
Steps to follow
Cold fogging machines can be operated by almost anyone. Here’s what you’ll need to do.
1. Wash all surfaces before sanitizing. Wipe all surfaces with a cleaning solution or soap and water. Pathogens can live under dirt and debris, and the disinfectant won’t make contact and kill them.
2. Prepare the room. Remove food-related items from the area, including food containers, plates, cookware and cutlery. Turn off all ventilation and air conditioning systems.
3. Wear personal protective equipment. The operator of the fogging machine must wear adequate personal protective equipment (PPE), including:
- A three-ply facemask
- Eye protection
- Shoe covers
- Ear protection
The fogger operator should be the only one in the room that’s getting disinfected.
4. Read the owner’s manual. Read the machine’s instruction manual before operating it so that you’re aware of the proper fogging technique and recommended fogging distances.
5. Mix and fill the machine with disinfectant solution. A cold fogger has a reservoir where you pour in a disinfectant solution. Read the instructions for correct dilution rates. Generally, one litre of solution is enough to sanitize a 100 cubic metre room.
6. Fog the room. Start fogging the area farthest from the exit and disperse the disinfectant mist over the entire room. An average room takes no more than five minutes to complete. Work backward to the door and exit the room. Leave the area sealed for 30 to 60 minutes to let the droplets settle and do their job.
Wipe food-related areas with a clean cloth after sanitizing. Surface wipe high contact objects such as light switches, door handles and desktops regularly between fogging sessions.
Disinfecting and sanitizing machines
Hotsy Water Blast manufactures disinfecting machines that can quickly and effectively sanitize businesses and public spaces. We also carry a hot water pressure washer line and provide installation services for custom pressure washer systems. To learn more, contact us today at one of our locations in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan or North Dakota.