Troubleshooting your pressure washer
If your mobile pressure washer is acting up, don’t rush off to the nearest pressure washer repair shop. You don’t have to be a professional to troubleshoot the issue. In many cases, there’s probably a simple solution. Here are some of the most common pressure washer problems and how to fix them.
The nozzle or spray gun doesn’t work
Your pressure washer’s nozzles and spray guns can fail due to a variety of reasons. However, you can try to get them working again by checking the following:
- Ensure the nozzle and spray gun connections are tight
- Check the nozzle, spray gun and inlet screens for clogs
- Check the O-rings and replace them if they’re damaged or dirty
- Unfurl the pressure washer hose reel and check the hose for twists, kinks and leaks
- Ensure you’re using the correct wand size for your machine
The engine won’t start
If you have a gasoline-powered pressure washer that won’t start, there are a few things you can do. However, ensure the ignition is off before investigating the issue. You can try the following to get it back up and running:
- Run water through the system to remove air from the hose
- Clean or replace the air filter
- Check the oil level and top it up or change it, if necessary
- Replace the fuel if it’s more than 30 days old
- Ensure the spark plugs are connected
- Turn off the choke
You’re experiencing low or undulating water pressure
Low water pressure can make it difficult to clean things. Therefore, if the water stream from your pressure washer is weak, check the following:
- Ensure the spray gun is the correct size and installed properly
- Make sure the nozzle isn’t in the low PSI position
- Check your spray gun, nozzle and hose for any leaks or clogs
Always check the unloader valve
The unloader valve on your pressure washer prevents pressure from building up inside the pump when you aren’t using it. If the engine keeps shutting off or you notice low water pressure, the unloader valve may be damaged. Additionally, using a pressure washer with a broken unloader valve is unsafe and could seriously damage your machine. Therefore, you must get the issue fixed as soon as possible.
How to prevent problems with your pressure washer
Investing in regular pressure washer maintenance will keep your unit running smoothly and prevent small problems from becoming expensive repairs. Moreover, make sure you purchase pressure washer parts and accessories from a reputable and authorized dealer.
Mobile pressure washer repair services in Western Canada and North Dakota
At Hotsy Water Blast, our technicians have the tools and training to repair your pressure washer and get it back up and running as quickly as possible. If you can’t make it to one of our shops, we’ll send our mobile pressure washer repair unit to you. We have nine locations in Western Canada and North Dakota. Contact us today to schedule a service call.